Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Skipping class

Wednesday:

I've organised my sleep study for Friday. I have to spend an hour at the clinic to get instructed, then take the equipment home to do the test that night. So that will be interesting.

In Nutrition class this morning we did a practise 24 hour recall on each other in pairs, finding out what the other person ate yesterday then comparing it to the official guidelines of what we should eat. I was paired with a fit looking boy (I really can't think of these 19 and 20 year olds as men! Especially the ones with the funny little mustaches) so I had to squash down my embarrassment about what I ate yesterday. Tuesday is the worst day of the week, with take-away and then Dungeons and Dragons supper! But it turned out his diet wasn't any better. His food intake wasn't too terrible apart from almost no vegetables, but he also had 3 glasses of juice (bottled, not freshly squeezed) and three bottles of powerade - an energy drink that has 35g (7 teaspoons) of sugar in each bottle! A lot of his calories for the day came in liquid form.

On the other hand, his idea of a fairly sedentary day included two hours of teaching kids to swim and then participating in a basketball game. Oh, but that only went for 40 mins, he protested. Hardly anything. I wonder what his active days are like!

I had a funny moment with another "boy" yesterday. I was chatting to my lab partner in Biology after we'd finished our work and I was saying I could afford to study instead of working because my husband was a lawyer so we were doing ok. Then I thought that that sounded quite boastful, so to show how my life wasn't all perfect I said that being a lawyer meant I hardly ever got to see him. The guy looked a bit awkward for a minute and I suddenly wondered if he thought I was a cougar on the prowl! Oh, I'm so lonely, my husband is hardly ever home, I was wondering .... Arg! So I quickly moved on to another topic, a comment on how monotremes (the Australian echidna and platypus - which we had just been studying) don't have nipples, they exude milk from their abdomen and the babies lick it off. I mean, yes, very interesting, but now I'm talking about nipples? Luckily it was time to move on to the next task and we managed to get past the conversational quagmire.

By lunchtime today I was so tired I just couldn't face staying for a two hour Chemistry lecture. I love my Chemistry, but I couldn't do it. I'd done the reading and the homework and I was confident with the topic. I went home and crashed into my bed for two hours semi-sleep (no real sleep, but some dozing in and out) before having to get the kids. We are having some lovely cooler weather at the moment but my sleep continues to be terrible so it definitely isn't that. I really want to get this cleared up, I am barely functional.

Sleep deprivation plus PMS is emotionally challenging. This morning my daughter put on the soundtrack to "Frozen" and there is an early scene where a little girl, Anna, doesn't understand why her big sister won't play with her anymore. They are keeping from her that Elsa has dangerous uncontrolled magic and is afraid of hurting her little sister. Anna is singing to a closed door...

"I never see you any more, Come out the door,
It's like you've gone away.
We used to be best buddies, now we're not...
I wish you would tell me why!
Do you want to build a snowman?
It doesn't have to be a snowman...
(Go away Anna)
Ok, bye."

I was literally in tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment